A substantial portion of our firm’s practice is devoted to representing clients in matters related to real estate disputes. With local and regional real estate markets constantly changing, the complexity of deals and the range of interested participants continues to grow and, with it, the likelihood of disagreement and conflict.
We have handled nearly every type of real estate litigation, from commercial landlord/tenant disputes to conflicts over ownership, title, liens and encumbrances, easements, and the rights to own, develop and occupy real estate. We have represented real estate developers, property owners, brokers, landlords, tenants and other stakeholders in real property in disputes with individuals and businesses, as well as with public and quasi-public organizations and entities.
Below is a list of recent, representative matters:
- Won a $21.6 million verdict against a municipality as damages for its failure to honor a developer’s claimed right to develop a waterfront project
- Obtained a large jury verdict in favor of a developer and against a municipality for failure to enter into a lease agreement with our client
- Negotiated a substantial settlement for a developer against municipal agencies for their refusal to allow the developer to build at a redevelopment site
- Settled a matter in which our client paid no money and conveyed no additional land after being sued for failure to convey air rights over a parcel of real estate
- Obtained a large settlement from a developer of a residential home for alleged defective construction and breach of warranty
- Won a quiet title action in which claims were made against our client’s property
- Prosecuted a boundary dispute and action in ejectment, defeating the defendant’s claim of a right in the land by adverse possession
- Obtained a large settlement on behalf of a real estate broker from a tenant of leased premises for failure to pay our client’s commission
- Defended numerous real property owners from personal injury premises liability claims, for which our clients did not have insurance